Video from the Washington, DC consultations is available online here. This link includes videos from the consultations on both Jan. 17th and Jan. 23rd. Unfortunately, video is not available from the consultations held in the Central Conferences.
In addition to the video, Rev. Becca Girrell, an elder in the New England Conference who participated in the Jan. 17th consultation in DC, wrote a summary of her experiences at the consultation on her blog. Rev. Girrell succinctly summarizes the consensus of the group on the goals of global Social Principles:
- "Be shorter– less is more
- "Name values (principles), not behaviors (positions)
- "Be positively worded– state what we believe, not what we oppose or fear
- "Be statements that incorporate theology and human dignity– we can’t just re-state a universal statement of human rights, but say something unique to us as people of faith
- "Contain only that which is applicable cross-culturally or world-wide"